Brush Care & Cleaning
Brush preservation, cleaning & care
No matter what quality of brush you acquire it is very important to look after them as carefully as you can.
- Wash them out after use with a gentle detergent.
- Stand brushes on their handles, not on their brush heads.
- Clean the brushes in a specialist cleaning product from time to time to remove paint from the ferrules (brush joint). Country Love Crafts stock Brush Cleaner.
- Try to keep a separate set of brushes for adults.
Brush Cleaning Advice:
Proper Cleaning requires the following steps:
- If necessary, use proper cleaning for the paint you are using to remove as much colour as possible.
- Use a brush cleaner or mild soap for final cleaning.
- Wet the brush in lukewarm water and work up a lather by gently rubbing your brush on the soap container or on the palm of your hand.
- Rinse in clean water.
- Repeat until lather shows no trace of colour.
- Make sure colour is out of your brush.
- Rinse thoroughly, shape your brush and put away to dry.
- These simple rules have to be followed with sable, bristle and synthetic brushes.
Brush Preservation Advice:
- Clean brush as indicated but use hot water.
- Allow lather to remain on bristles/filaments a few minutes.
- If necessary, tap bristles on hard surface to work paint out.
- To clean paint from ferrule, allow lather to remain on bristles/filaments for several hours and repeat cleaning process.
- Leave lather on bristles/filaments, shape and allow to dry.